Sunday, October 29, 2006

Windy Bluster

No, not me -- the day. Though maybe me, too.

I see by my favorite poll that the likelihood of the Democrats retaking the Senate is presumed to have decreased. No guarantees, of course, until after the election, at which time whatever happens will be shown to have been not only foretold in the cards but clearly inevitable. Taking back one of the two would be a good second place -- but taking both would be better. Lets hope that happens. Sometimes, when I am in a mellow mood, I think about what Bush could do to redeem himself in my eyes. Things do occur to me, and quickly. Then I try to limit it to things that he might plausibly do -- and the list usually drops to zero. I almost -- not quite, but almost -- feel sorry for him. I feel sorrier for us.

It really is windy out there today. My wife said that when you're inside, looking out, it seems like a great day for a walk -- and when you're outside, its a great day to be inside. Not bitingly cold, but if you didn't dress warmly, it feels that way. Last night, we went out to dinner with friends. We thought we'd wait inside for them, but did not reckon with the hordes that had the same idea. I shivered outside the restaurant for about half an hour, and when we left, I walked very quickly to the car -- much faster than my sensibly dressed wife, who happened to have the car keys.
While we were there, our friends told of a long drive they'd taken in the Arizona - Colorado area. One thing they did was talk a lot, on the trip, about two book series that their daughters were reading -- Nancy Drew, and Anne of Green Gables. Eventually, their daughters made a game of it: what would each book's girl say about a specific thing. Their example: Anne, looking out the window: What a luxurious landscape, the green of the lush trees counterpointed against the deep blue, almost azure in its intensity, of the sky, itself dotted with thick, fleecy clouds scudding across it like swans moving quickly across a turbulent pond. Nancy, looking out the same window: It's pretty out.
They said that if 'Carolyn Keene', the author of the Drew series, was still around, they'd send her a thesaurus.

The burritos turned out pretty well, this morning. We did not make the filling in advance, and it proved to be surprisingly hard to keep the package warm (perhaps thats why they suggested using smaller tortillas instead of the dinner-plate size I prefer) but the taste was good enough that we're going to keep the recipe. I doubt we'll keep the chocolate waffle one, though. Oh, and though we're still Ghiradelli Coffee bigots, still buying from First Colony Coffee (I have this image of a small family operation; would that I never find out its a division of Big Gihugic Megafoods), we did pick up a package of coffee from a site called The Coffee Fool (they tricked me, probably unintentionally, but appropriate for a site with that name; I thought the picture of the cute woman was the owner; turns out it was a customer). The coffee was very good -- easily up to Ghiradelli standards. So now we have two sources -- though as long as Ghiradelli makes that Chocolate Orange coffee that we had this morning, there will be no doubt whom our primary coffee fix supplier will be.

Is it just me, or is spell check not working (not even activating) on Blogger?

No comments: