Thursday, October 19, 2006

Religious Ranters

I heard something a little distressing on the radio today, on the way home. One of the people running for the Senate from my state was asked how he squared his support for same-sex marriages with his being a Catholic. He said, after some dancing around, that he believed that a public official should be guided but not ruled by religious beliefs. This did not go over well with the mostly religious group listening to him, some of whom said that if a politician did not promise to return the country to adherence with biblical precepts, they'd find it hard to support them. Good riddance, I thought, even if they are Catholics (which I am). But it was distressing, all the same, to find the same kind of fanaticism (if not so wildeyed) in my corner as I've seen in others. Okay, my side doesnt march in the streets, let alone proclaim a jihad, take hostages, and kill the innocents while proclaiming the wonderfulness of our deity, but even this is too much. Good riddance, I say, to all of that ilk.

No comments: