Saturday, October 14, 2006

Fakin Bakin

I was going to bake and cook today, but it isn't quite working out that way.

First mistake: mentioning to the daughteroid that I was going to bake cookies. Yay! she said. What kind? A new recipe, I replied: peanut butter sandwich cookies. Her face fell. I hate those, she announced. Have you ever had any? No-- but I don't like them. Hmm.... still, I intended to press on, but first I wanted to make the dough for crusty rolls. First batch of dough was a nightmare -- took me four eggs to get two egg whites, and when I was done it was way too dry. Hell with this, I said, and tossed the dough, starting again from scratch. The whole damn egg goes in this time, I muttered, and while I'm at it, the yeast gets 'softened' (whatever the heck that means) in all the water, not just half. After much addition of flour, it started to come together -- not great, but not bad. I finally had it in the bowl to start rising when I glanced over and saw the butter still out. Butter! Dammit, I forgot the butter! Heck with it -- I melted it, worked it in by hand (a curiously sensual experience). If it rises, fine; if not, pitch it.

I haven't even tried the rice pudding, though there's still tomorrow. Some days, the kitchen gods are saying Yo, give it a rest....

No comments: