Friday, October 06, 2006

Fried Day

Actually, its not that bad. I am a little irritated by the delay in getting my system up -- mostly due to a coworker neglecting to tell me something key, but also due to me not realizing that some tasks were necessary -- but its not a big deal. Its more of an irritant to realize how many emails showed up while I was carefully going through the material for my system. There are way too many emails being tossed around, and way too many people who beleive that the world deserves to see their responses. I'm sure that I'm not the first to make that observation, even today.

Yesterday, we brought the van in to have the left headlight replaced; today, on the way home, I noticed that one of the dash lights was out. (Why do we call it a dashboard, I wonder?) But it got me thinking about the dials and digits there. My dash has four dials -- a speedometer (analog) incorporating an odometer (digital), a tach (analog), a gas gauge (analog), and a temperature gauge (analog). I wondered why those are analog -- why there isn't simply a digital representation of the needle, or, for that matter, why a needle at all -- why not a simple number or bar graph gauge? I would guess that the reason is mostly economic, but if so I wonder for how long that will be true. Maybe we'll get dashboards where you can rearrange it -- I like the speedometer over here and the gas gauge down there, you like the reverse. To be followed quickly by people learning how to remotely hack into those displays from passing cars and from people on overpasses....

And I noticed that I had lifted my left hand up to the wheel without noticing it. A very slight strain, but only if I focus on it. This is a a good thing.

Now, if I only had Monday off.....

No comments: