Saturday, October 14, 2006

S-S-Saturday

I said I wanted a chilly night, and I got it. This morning, I got up at 5:30 for a system change, and as soon as I slid out from under the cover, I knew that the temperature had dropped. Going from our bedroom into the warmer hall was like putting on a pair of warm slippers. I reached back into the room and flicked the thermostat up so that it would be warm by the time that my wife got out of bed. She's not as big a fan of chill as I am.

A couple of articles in the Christian Science Monitor yesterday, delivered to me courtesy of Feed Demon, caught my attention, insofar as they both offered advice as to the 'key' point that the Democrats ought to keep in mind for the elections. One said that the most important thing was not necessarily to be in line with what most people thought, but to be in line with what most people think about a topic who feel strongly about the topic, and intend to vote. The other said that the most important thing was to be warm and charismatic; all else would follow if the people trust you. Why does the old joke come to mind about the need for sincerity?

Both seem shallow and calculating, to me. Of course, as both were written by political consultants, that's to be expected.

No comments: