Thursday, October 12, 2006

Frosty

Tonight, the temp is going down to just above freezing. Hot diggity, winter's coming. This is just about my favorite time of the year. Hot cider, a bite in the air, colorful trees --- all good stuff. Time to plug in the electric blanket (my side on off, hers on medium roast), open up the window. Nothing like a cool bedroom! We'll pay for this great interlude in winter's drabness, but its okay -- makes spring all that more delightful.

Bit of a tough day at work -- I got to listen to managers talk about a technical problem -- more specifically, a problem that a technician had had, which caused them some organizational grief. Managers don't think the way that I do, I'm afraid. They worry about auditors, and what its safe to tell their managers. I've found that the rule of thumb for managers in my company is that everything their manager wants to do is good, and if they wanted your opinion, they'd have told it to you. Its not an environment that encourages or appreciates free-form input. Its not out of the question -- its just unusual, a barely-tolerated quirk. The attitude toward it is like their attitude toward spontaneity -- fine, in its scheduled time and place.

I'm trying to get back to reading, insofar as I now have two books in actual progress -- one's science fiction, and one is one that I'd read years ago, saw at a used-book shop, and picked up again. So I know whats going to happen -- I'm just reading it for the pleasure of the writers style. My daughter has picked up that tendency -- we just went to Amazon to get her the next in a new series she's found, the "Charlie Bone" series -- which is partially why she has more books on her bookcase than I do on mine ! (Amazon makes it so easy....)

Found two recipes I'm going to try this weekend -- one is for Swedish Rice Pudding, and the other is for Beignets. But tonight, we're going out !

No comments: