Friday, October 06, 2006

Keeping Track

Every so often I have a problem with keeping track. Usually, it comes about when I have something scheduled, but didn't note it on the calendar I'm using at the moment. I have two -- one that's integrated with Loutus Notes, and one that hangs on my wall at work -- and a third at home. Generally, the Notes one is used to track changes that I'm doing on systems other than the ones I normally work on (the ones that are on systems located in other states), as well as corporate events that I have to keep aware of; the paper one is for changes that I'm doing on local systems, and the one at home is for family or personal events -- school functions, dental appointments, and the like.

The system usually works pretty well, but every so often things overlap, or the calendar in question isn't readily available. Occasionally, none of them are quite right -- for example, I have a system upgrade that I absolutely, positively have to be signed in to on Sunday morning at 6AM. The home calendar wouldn't have it because its a remote system (not to mention, its not a family event); the one on my wall wouldn't have it, also because its a remote system, and the Notes one wouldn't have it because I'm not going to have Notes up at that ungodly hour. For things like that, I need something to ping me and say 'heres an event you need to remember', and that something needs to be completely independent of the other three (yet integrated into them, maybe), as well as both portable and something likely to be remembered (ie, a device or something that I'll always have).

I think they call that 'a secretary'.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Or a cell phone.

Cerulean Bill said...

Only if it had a scheduling function in it that could link to the two paper and one electronic calendars.