Friday, October 27, 2006

Things to Do

I want to make breakfast burritos one of these days. We've made them, but they're a lot of work -- I'd say it took us working together about an hour, possibly more, to make four burritos, and considerably less time to polish them off. What we need to do, perhaps, is make the 'filling' in advance, freeze or refrigerate it, and then just unwrap into tortilla shells when needed. It doesn't really matter how long it takes on a Sunday, but if we were to have it on a weekday, it could not take more than, say, twenty minutes from entry into the kitchen to delivery onto the table. For a long time, we ate Bob Evans sausage breakfast burritos, and what we found over time was that either our taste improved (okay, not likely) or the quality of the food went downhill, because now I can't really contemplate eating them. In fact, we've had a package in the freezer for over a month, and we used to buy them weekly. But not having the frozen ones because their taste went downhill doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to have some homemade ones. These sound good.

Another thing I have to work on is getting my blood sugar level back under control. It was good for over a year, and over the summer I got out of the habit of checking it routinely. I got my blood tests back the other day, and it had gone up markedly. I've dusted off the spreadsheet and I'm going to start working on that. Coincidentally with that, I'm going to make an effort to lose five pounds by the beginning of December. I'm told that guys lose weight without thinking about it. That hasn't been my experience. I'm not good with the classic 'diet', but I hope that simply being reasonable, with a reasonable goal, and a spreadsheet to keep track, will help me do this. I have two reasons: one is, simply, that its a good idea, and two is, it helps me with the first goal.

I want to start being well-read again. I used to read a broad range of things. I never went into much depth, for the most part, but I went into a lot of different areas -- anatomy, programming, traffic flow, baking. I quit doing most of that, and I'm not sure why. I think it might have been related to stress about my job. But doing that kind of reading helps me feel good about myself, so I want to start again. Its going to be like a sputtering engine being fired up after sitting in the field through a couple of freeze and thaw cycles, but I want to do it.

I think thats enough, for now. Now I need to work on a plan.

No comments: