Saturday, October 21, 2006

Stand By

Some time ago, I reinstalled Windows XP Home on this laptop. Immediately thereafter, the Standby function disappeared from the shutdown menu. More accurately, it was 'grayed out'.

I hunted around for an answer, and one that showed up repeatedly was that it 'had something to do with the video drivers; check the device manager (control panel -> System -> Hardware; look both at Display Adapters and devices that show with a yellow question mark)'.

Well, this was patently absurd, but what the heck... and as it happened, I did have a video adaptor showing with a yellow question mark -- and when I double clicked on it, the message said that the driver was not installed. I told it to go find and install it, and it did.

I looked at the Shutdown options. No Standby.

I rebooted. Looked again. And the Standby option was back.

Yeah, I knew it all along....

No comments: