Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Weirdness

This may be a weird post because I'm in a weird mood. Sorry.

I didn't sleep well last night - arm kept twinging, which is abnormal. Its actually been doing well, by my standards -- I even got a tad more flexibility -- like, a half inch more lateral motion. So now I am lying down, which tends to help, and my eyes were closed, dozing. What a sluffer.

My work group had a mtg and they talked about a problem I'd had. Wasn't pleasant, but it could have been worse. I'm still irritated by the prob -- the cause was me forgetting to do something, and there was no backup system to remind me. I appear to be the only one who thinks that having a support system would be a good idea, as a memory backstop. They must all have nailed this or have great memories. Then again, this a computer company that heavily relies on manual data gathering.

I'm just ticked, maybe. I hate failing, especially publicly.

I love the concept of systems -- even the word sounds cool to me. It implies interlocking, feedback, complementarity, learning, adaptive. Too bad the implementation is so poor so often. Like the snarky way blogger spell checker says HEY you're not using one of our words...Do you REALLY want to do this? Yuck.

2 comments:

Jennifer George said...

It's so much more fun to create systems than it is to maintain them, don't you think?

Cerulean Bill said...

Unquestionably. I don't get to do one from scratch too often, though,so I have to get pleasure from seamless grafting, making the existing system learn new tricks. Bugs me when my 'obvious' actions or responses aren't shared - more that once I've grumbled that this would be a LOT easier if it weren't for users! (g)