Saturday, July 15, 2006

Kitchen Design

I don't have great thoughts about this. When we had our kitchen remodeled, I liked to say that we went from a kitchen with storage, places to prep food, and places to cook food to a kitchen with some more storage, some more places to prep food, and places to cook food. Oh, and its prettier. I do like it, but alone I'd likely never have done it. Since I've been keeping a spreadsheet of house thoughts, though, a couple have come up more than just a few times. They just make sense to me, and, like much of the list, I hope we can do it with the Next House. One of those is a scullery.

I have never liked storing dirty dishes in the sink. If the dishwasher is empty, thats where they should go (a philosophy not shared by my daughter). But when its not -- well, okay. But sometimes they stay there a long time (by my standards), and fairly often they sit on the counter, too. Nothing gets your day started better than having to push aside the spaghetti sauce pot so that you can find space to make the morning coffee. And it looks so appealing the next day, too.

So, the scullery (area): someplace to get dirty dishes out of sight and out of the way. Of course, not too far, or one day we'll be saying "Hey, where did all the glasses go?"

4 comments:

Sweeti said...

You know I have often thought I'd like a Butlers nook just off the kitchen with a sink and enough room to house the a dishwasher and dishes, Therefore the mess could be hidden. I still would have a sink in the kitchen but how nice when your entertaining to have that choice.

Rach said...

I think you idea is perfect. Even a deep drawer that's lined in metal with a drain so it can be swooshed out, but pushed in again to hid the dishes. Yep .. coming from someone that doesn't even own a dishwasher .. that would be ideal. I'll hire you to design my kitchen IF we ever decide to build. ;)

Jennifer George said...

Or you could have two dishwashers. One for clean and one for dirty.

Vica said...

The multiple dishwasher concept rules! I thought of it as ridiculous excess -- until I stayed at a house with a large family. It was fantastic. Always clean dishes, never anything on the counter or left in the sink.

I'm working my way up to it. First, I need to get one dishwasher.