Saturday, July 01, 2006

Buying Houses

Every so often I will go into a spasm of frenetic eagerness and insist that we HAVE to buy another house, or at least land upon which to PUT such a house, right now, so that we will have it DONE by the time we are ready to have a retirement home built. (I put in the caps because that's how it feels to me when I am spazzing out in this manner.) Usually, I calm back down, and start thinking realistic thoughts about gee, that means your money is locked up, so you assume that the increase in the cost of real estate will be greater than the money you could have earned keeping it in the bank, and that desirable land won't be available then, plus now you have to maintain that land, and if you don't build within X years you might have to get another perc test, and if it fails, then now you have property no one's going to want to buy, and you can't put a septic system in, WAH, now you're screwed. I really do think that planning for retirement housing and acting in advance when you can is a good thing and key to success; I just can't seem to get past the YeahButs when I try. But I keep at it.

Speaking of buying houses, a Finnish company called IGGLO (Here's their site, but be warned; it seems to be in Finnish) has an interesting spin on the basic concept.

2 comments:

Rach said...

If only my FIL had a computer, I could pass the link on to him to read.

I can understand your dilema. It's almost a no win situation, unless of course you buy and build right away, and either move in or rent it out until you're ready to use it as a retirement home.

Cerulean Bill said...

I think that the aspect of it which drives me craziest is that no matter which way I approach it, there's a good reason not to do it that way. I am trying hard to focus on the reasons TO do it a certain way -- ie, not to get unreasonably distracted by the Yeah, Buts.