Monday, July 03, 2006

July 3.75

It's almost the fourth -- excuse me, The Fourth! -- which means that all over the country, people are making preparations. Some of them are delightful, some are lugubrious. I won't be watching television, so I won't have to lunge for the remote if Dubya shows up pretending to be the leader of my country (I'm not sure who is, but I know for sure he isn't), and I probably won't be going to any picnics, much as I'd like to -- I don't know of anyone having one, and what with the timing of the fourth in the middle of a work week, I'm just not going to be in the mood to celebrate. Reading this got me pretty down, too.

But I think this is a great country, with a lot to like and a lot to love. Even with all of the organized insanity and the chaos, I'm glad it's mine.

2 comments:

Rach said...

From that story, I would swear it could have happened in Russia or Germany (when good old Hitler was in reign).

Happy Fourth! Hope you have a good day, despite the mood.

Cerulean Bill said...

That's sort of what it made me think of, too. The follow on comments regarding the guard, portraying him as a decent guy, somehow made it worse.

There ARE people who will game the system, and organizational responses tend to assume worst case. This fellow really could have been 'protesting', trying to hide it under the veneer of normality. It could also have been exactly what it appeared. The guard didn't want to take the chance. I can't say that he was wrong.

But it saddened me.