Monday, July 24, 2006

Thinking

I was thinking about my friend who died, and about the power of good thoughts.

When I found that she was sick, I asked a friend who was very religious if she would pray for her. I didn’t really think that it would help -- stage four stomach cancer is about as bad as it could be -- but I didn’’t want to miss even the faintest possibility. She did, but it didn’t help. My friend died a week later. I still think about her fairly often. Usually, its just fantasy about being able to go back and help her nip that cancer. Sometimes I remember standing next to her hospital bed, feeling the texture of her hair as I stroked it while she slept. (I just wanted to do something.) And once in a while, I remember being in a low visitor's chair next to her bed a couple of the times when she had to get out of the bed. Those hospital gowns aren’t made for modesty, and when it rode up her legs I saw much more of her than I’d ever seen before, certainly much more than she might have willingly shown me. It was more than a touch erotic, but I wish that those good thoughts had worked, even so. I've have given up those thrilling sights in a heartbeat, for that.

My situation isn’t nearly as bad. But next Tuesday, as the result of something that I wish I could go back and change, I undergo the" ten percent likely" arm surgery (the buzzword is hemiarthroplasty), to be followed by months of rehab. So much for my good thoughts.

Regrets are pretty enduring things.

No comments: