Monday, July 31, 2006

T -13

I have an arrive at the hospital time of 6 a.m. tomorrow, and a surgery scheduled start time of 8 a.m. If they keep to their schedule estimate, that means I'll be out of surgery by about 1030, out of anesthesia by about 11. So roughly speaking by about noon I should be done at least with the tough part.

And there's a tiny possibility that I may not have to stay overnight. No guarantee, but the check-in nurse pointed out that this is being booked as a 23 hour observation, which I gather is an insurance stratagem because insurance people only want to pay for a maximum of 23 hours of me being there. 23 hours from six in the morning means checking out at 5 a.m. and 23 hours from the surgery start would mean checking out at 7 a.m. Neither one is impossible, of course, just as there is no guarantee that I won't stay longer than 23 hours. For one thing, the surgery might run long -- though I devoutly hope not. In, out, and profoundly boring -- that's what I want.

Let the cutting (sigh) begin.

7 comments:

genderist said...

You're going to do just fine. I'll be thinking about you between 10:30 and noon EST.

Fingers crossed!

Cerulean Bill said...

Intellectually, I know that. Emotionally....

But as someone once said, Nothing to it but to do it.... I think it was that noted philosopher, Hulk Hogan.

genderist said...

Hulk Hogan was also a big fan of taking your vitamins... and only Big Bird could pull off a yellow ensamble like him.

Thinking of you.

jo_jo said...

Bill, you're in my thoughts. As are the team that's tasked with putting up with you!

Tabor said...

So, when you return to read this the major part will be over -- some pain and some therapy -- but you are now on the downhill side of mending.

Sweeti said...

By the time you read this it probably is over with and I'm wishing you well. Stay on top of the pain meds and get well soon! :)

Just ask everyone to send chocolate it always makes me feel better, Ever the sugarfree kind.

Rach said...

If I have the time zone thing right, your surgery is currently under way. I'll keep you in my thoughts.