Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Creativity

I was just thinking about creativity. Okay, no I wasn't, I was at a site called Phylotaxis, playing with the cute little #something# that they have in the center of their page -- its a cluster of balls that you can rearrange, zooming through it with your cursor, watching them reform. After a bit I zoomed a bit too hard, triggering a jump to a page where a larger version of the cluster appeared, each ball being a news item that you could select. I was fascinated by that when first I saw it, and I still am. It is a wonderful technical achievement, and its delightful. It reminds me, conceptually, of a 'lollipop tree' that is outside a tall building in Boston where I used to work. The wind would come whipping in there, and the trees -- bright yellow circles on poles -- were put there to cause turbulence and smooth out the air. At least, I think thats what they were for. Whatever, they were a delightful design and a clever solution -- like Phylotaxis.

One of the people who occasionally comments here is a life coach for gifted people (a category I barely inhabit these days, but on a good day, yes). I admire that kind of skill, and I love and cherish creativity. Its awesome. I try to encourage when I can (usually, thats limited to my daughter), manifest it when possible (amazing how often that means 'get up, walk away from the problem, and think about something else), and delight in it when I see it.

2 comments:

yasser said...

thanks for the link; I like the site as well; creativity can be manifested in so many different ways...

Cerulean Bill said...

Glad you liked it! And thanks for commenting...