Wednesday, July 26, 2006

More Practicing

We just got back from taking my daughter to a swimming lesson. She swims pretty well actually, mostly because I've been paranoid over the last half-dozen years. As a result, I was not too terribly concerned to see that the deepest part of the pool where my daughter would be swimming was 10 feet deep, or to put it another way, roughly twice her height. I know, I know -- it's possible to drown in 3 inches of water, but still, I don't think she will.

I think that my personal fear of water generally came from when I was a kid and I was in a lake at a camp messing around with some of the old rowboats that they had there. I found out pretty quickly that it isn't a good idea to be leaning over the front of one rowboat hanging on when the next one decides to make a sharp turn. I found myself in about 15 feet of water, and it was only after much splashing around that I managed to get back into the boat. In fact, it wasn't until about eight years ago that I got to the point where I felt comfortable in the water -- although not in the ocean, where I find to my surprise that some people really do swim.

Of course, with my current impairment, any swimming is out of the question. Though I did see where swimming is good exercise for rehabilitation. Wonder if I can get my insurance company to pay for a pool?

3 comments:

Rach said...

I'm raising water babies too. Gotta love the water, but I can see how a specific childhood event could create a fear for it.

I'm with ya on the ocean swimming. We have every opportunity we want, yet both dh and I would rather not. There's to many unknowns swimming below ya. Eeek!

Cerulean Bill said...

I could be absolutely sure that there was nothing underneath me and I'd still be nervous about it. It could be incredibly tranquil -- no tide at all --and I would still be nervous. And the average ocean isn't like that at all.

So if we ever visit, I think will stay away from the ocean except to look at it. And maybe the ferries.

genderist said...

If you figure out how to get your insurance company to hook you up with a pool pass at a snazzy club, let me know... that would be sweet!