Saturday, July 08, 2006

Here, Fishy...

Though I don't like to eat fish, I do like to watch them. So from time to time I think about getting an aquarium tank for the living room -- something, say, about two feet long, a foot and a half deep, and an foot and a half to two feet high. That's big but not massive. I've seen massive tanks, and they scare me. Incredibly heavy, for one thing. I wouldn't want to have to get a Special Stand for the tank.

Which is actually all the 'planning' that I've done as regards getting one. But I like the thought. Even the web sites that are dedicated to 'aquaculture', and informing me sternly of all of the hazards, plans, requirements, conditions, considerations and whatnot haven't -- entirely-- dissuaded me from it.

3 comments:

Rach said...

What about first going with a Beta Fish. We have one (we're on our second actually) and all they require is a small dish (think goldfish bowl or rose bowl). They really have personality too .. so cool to watch.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4547/1940/1600/IMG_0002.1.jpg

Cerulean Bill said...

Interesting that you should say that, Rach; I had come across beta fish while reading something on the subject, and was taken by them. By the looks of the picture, I assume they don't need anything special - ie, heated water and the like?

Rach said...

Nope .. they don't need anything but a little water, no heating or filter system. ALthough we don't like to let the sun shine on him, nor the cold draft from the windows .. otherwise they're quite hardy fish. In fact, in the wild they've been known to thrive in mud puddles, so that tells ya how little water they really need. The only thing we do is use purifier drops to take the chlorine out of the water when I clean the bowl. And I do say he has MUCH personality. He likes me .. he must know who feeds and cleans him, cuz he'll come fishy lipping me when I sit down at the table (where we have his designated spot as center piece).