Friday, July 21, 2006

Changes

Some years ago, I heard somebody say that the only person who appreciates change is a wet baby. I believed it then, and even more now. Both the large software company that I work for and the one my wife works for are making changes, and as Jim Croce might have said, they’re not of the pleasant kind. From what I’m given to understand, in both cases the changes are driven by lack of profit.

Hers are worse; they’re firing people again. We'd say there was no rational reason to be concerned about the safety of her job, but these guys fire without apparent logic. Still, her sanity is important. I've told her -- and I mean it -- that she can quit whenever she wants. Whenever.

Mine are more benign; they’re moving people around. Not an improvement, from my perspective; I still am not getting the opportunity to do what I want to do, but I will likely be doing more of what I don’t want to do.

I am very glad to be within a couple of years of retirement. I wish she was, too.

No comments: