Sunday, July 30, 2006

Hookers

To my knowledge, I've never known or met a hooker.

This is a little bit of an accomplishment, I suppose, because I grew up in New York City, and while I don't think the hookers run rampant in the streets there, like the running of the bulls in Pamplona (what an interesting image that would be), I do think that they're fairly common. There was the time I was waiting to cross the street to go over to the port authority bus terminal and a girl came up to me and said, would you like to go to a party? That ended pretty innocuously though -- I said no, I'm on my way to the airport. She said, where are you going? I replied, South Dakota; she said, too bad. And I agreed. It wasn't until much later that it occurred to me what she was actually offering. I guess I'm oblivious that way. For that matter, I went through a year in Southeast Asia, courtesy of the US military, and never met a hooker there either. Okay, I did get the impression that certain services could be acquired at the massage parlor in downtown Korat, Thailand, but I never did. I was too chicken.

What brings us to mind is some surfing that I've been doing using the Stumble-Upon package. They categorize sites based on classifications -- keywords -- that other people have assigned to them. As it happens, the keyword that I've been looking at is Adult. What amazes me is how often the sites that turn up promote the idea that the girl next door is actually a hooker -- sweet, innocent, possibly virginal, yet experienced, sexy, and knowledgeable about all sorts of interesting sexual variations.

I like fantasies as much as anyone, but I've been around awhile. I know this is untrue. It still catches my attention. The thing is, while part of my brain is saying, hot darn, look at that, another part is saying "that's somebody's daughter".

It's a very weird feeling.

4 comments:

genderist said...

I've only seen groups of hookers working their corners in the movies. I've looked for them on trips to various cities, mostly because Hollywood led me to believe that hookers are city attractions, but I've drawn nil.

Cerulean Bill said...

When I lived in Boston, a friend told me that you could always find hookers hanging around the common (the Boston Common). I told them that I doubted that and he offered to prove it to me. We drove around, and as he went past one corner, he pointed to a woman and said, she's a hooker. I looked and she looked just like anyone else. I told him that I doubted it. He just laughed and drove about 10 blocks away, and then turn around and came back. When we passed that corner again, the woman was still there.

Oh.

Rach said...

In the town I live, we have areas that arent so classy. That's where the prostitutes hang out. And they're NOT classy (clean)dressed like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. They're drug addicts looking for quick money to buy their next hit. It's nasty really.

Cerulean Bill said...

Julia Rberts wasn't a prostitute. She was...um...an entrepreneur. Yeah, thats it.