Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Scanning

Last night, I searched for info on shattered humerus. I found two sites where the writers said essentially that while it was a major inconvenience, it was not the end of the world. Both of them said they got through it. (For obvious reasons I did not read any entries that looked grim.) One of those blogs said a positive attitude helped. I'm gonna try.

I was surprised and pleased to get notes of condolence from two people I don't know. One, I had commented at her site, but the other, from India, I had never met. That people do read what I write, even if only that once, is - gratifying. I won't make too much of it, but I like it. I really appreciate the thoughts.

I have on an elastic thing that goes around my chest, to which two soft cuffs are attached; one for my wrist, one for my upper arm, to immobilize my shoulder. I tugged a tshirt over it. I look like I am doing a Napoleon impression.

Getting some amazing typos. Fah on one handed typing.

8 comments:

STAG said...

So, um, what were you doing when you busted your arm? You don't often hear about people breaking their upper arm....usually the little forearm bones take the impact.

Must hurt like the very devil is yankin on it eh? My sincere condolences... Hope you don't need a titanium ball and socket. That'll clean out your savings account! Usually they can just bolt the pieces together with rings, screws and splints.

Cerulean Bill said...

no idea yet - the cat scan is tomorrow

i was walking quickly in a narrow hall, tripped, landed on my shoulder. Oh yeah, it hurt!

may have to put off the trip to ottawa....

jo_jo said...

Hope you are getting the good drugs, Bill. That must hurt lots, and personally I see no value in additional suffering.

Did it happen at work? Can you sue and retire early?!
Best,
Joanna

Cerulean Bill said...

nope, my own clumsiness at home. i do have decent drugs but it really doesn't hurt -- possibly because its immobilized.

Rach said...

Hey Bill .. I was thinking about you today and wondering how the scan went. Any idea as to how much damage was done?

Cerulean Bill said...

well, the scan was almost a non-event -- lie on a bed that slides back and forth, sliding through an O about 2 feet thick. no claustrophobic feeling. hardly louder than a big vacuum cleaner.

but i don't get to learn the result for 10 days. i think thet want the bone to start to fuse.

from the stray comments of the surgeon, i'm assuming surgery ill happen. ok w/me -- i don't want to wear this brace for a year -- but i hope its not shoulder replacement. that scares me.

Rach said...

Oh isn't that typical. Here, lets just let you wait ten days for results, THEN we'll see about setting it or whatever. Ouch! I'm glad you not in an overly crazy amount of pain, but still the nuisance .. and fear must be driving you crazy. :(

Cerulean Bill said...

i just want it to be over...and that will be months and months. This immobilizer gives me a certain appreciation for what its like to wear a bra, though. (g) always thought they looked uncomfortable.