Saturday, May 01, 2010

Reboot

There are times when you'd like to just reboot your day.

This morning, my wife had to get up at 5AM to dial into a technical teleconference. We knew that she would, so it wasn't a surprise. Unpleasant, as the daughteroid is away, so the image of a lazy morning was appealing, but, okay. It comes with the territory.

What doesn't come with the territory is her laptop being unable to connect to the home network. Just flat no connection. She looked at a couple of things, she changed some things. Nada. She woke me up and I looked at this, I looked at that. After a while, I said This is really weird -- your laptop is broadcasting, because this little wireless antenna symbol above the Function Keys is lit, but - And she stopped me. That's it! HP Laptops have this thing, thats not just an indicator, its also a switch, and if you bump it, you can accidentally turn it off! So she tapped it, and the orange indicator turned blue, and suddenly the router said that she was connected.

Now what kind of freakin' maniac makes a switch that can be accidentally turned off, thus removing the vital connection without which laptops are essentially dumb terminals? Let alone, turned off without giving any indication that it is off? At least on my daughter's Dell, which has the same kind of stupidity, the switch is obviously a switch - well, gee, I don't know, what does flipping this do? - but on the HP, even that clue was gone. The indicator light is lit, so it must be okay.

So now she was broadcasting, the router says Oh yes, I see it now, so all is okay, right? No. Because now it says 'Limited Or No Connectivity'. Huh? To the same network that I'm using on my laptop? What exactly is that supposed to mean? ...she changed some things... What? Well, you know, there's dozens of things it could be -- networks, like helicopters, look for a reason to fail catastrophically; its no coincidence that Network and Not Work sound so much alike. We're thinking physical connectivity, ie, router is on and broadcasting, laptop is on and broadcasting, works; logical connectivity, ie, getting past something that blocks it, like MAC filtering or firewall or encryption type or encryption key, doesn't. Shouldn't be that big a deal. We hope. Once she's done, we'll have to figure it out. And document it. Document the hell out of it. In the interim, she said the hell with this, ran a cable from the router to the laptop, and connected that way. Newfangled wireless hoo-hah....

Why there's no 'network diagnostic software' beats me. Resolution is always a series of obvious and not-so-obvious steps, why can't a piece of software do that? I know, its not quite that simple -- well, yes, you could fix it by turning off your firewall, but you likely don't want to do that unless it's urgent and you have no other alternative; yes, you could fix it by turning off encryption, but you likely don't... - but does such software exist? (Probably) Does anyone offer it? (Probably) Is it usable? (Only by the people who are true network hackers, and thus would likely disdain it unless they're in a hurry and nobody is looking).

Gah.

Reboot!

=====

Update: I've been reading posts on this and similar problems. Why do so many people feel it necessary to slime the intelligence of the people asking the question?Let alone, offer suggestions that require a level of knowledge that the question indicates the asker doesn't have? Or offer stray suggestions/dicta that have nothing to do with the question? (You shoulda got a Mac, they rool!) Reminds me of an article I read wherein a fellow said that when he had a Linux question, he learned never to just ask the question, because he'd get either no response or rude/crude/unhelpful ones. Instead, he'd say 'I wish I could use Linux, because I think it's better than Windoze, but, you know, Windoze can do this, and Linux can't..." He'd be inundated with Linux gurus telling him how to do it. Because, you know, Linux rools.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck! :-)

WiFi is a nuisance to troubleshoot. It always is.

The Apple bit isn't true. People keep saying it, but I wonder how many people know that Apple laptops can be knocked off the air by a wireless phone? They use the same frequency. I've spent far too many hours troubleshooting Apple WiFi issues! That usually just up and disappear.

The Mrs will ask me what was wrong and I'll say "Dunno. It solved itself!"

I no longer ask about arcane troubleshooting issues on Linux boards. Apple forums are usually a little better, but I have to note that one or two of the Kawasaki KLR 650 (it's a long distance motorcycle I'm lusting after) boards remind me of Linux: "you didn't know that? Everyone knows that! You must have the intellectual capacity of an amoeba! I'll deign to answer the question I want you to ask, though..."

Wish I could help. :-(

Cerulean Bill said...

Its not rocket science. It's just not user-obvious.

I was thinking (as I sometimes do, but not as often as I used to) that if I think it ought to exist, then fine, WRITE ONE. Okay, I thought...but, you know, i don't know any AI shells...okay, then just write something that can interrogate the system...um..I don't know how to interrogate control blocks in Windows... so now I'm at FINE! JUST WRITE WHAT OUGHT TO BE CHECKED! Yeah, I can do that.

Cerulean Bill said...

After leaving this page, I came to one about testing computer security, and one of the comments was, and I quote:

Fortunately my linux box doesn’t need all this crap. Just an anti-rookit, that runs automatically with cron, spamassassin and a good knowledge of Iptables.

good luck with your bloatware.


How....nice...said with clenched teeth.

Cerulean Bill said...

Turns out it was the WEP key. She entered it, and, hey presto....

Unknown said...

Yay! You solved it! :-)

(What the heck is a WEP key?)

Cerulean Bill said...

Its one of I think three different ways to encrypt transmissions, all of which, I am assured, can be broken by a script kiddy in no time at all.