Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday

I do truly love having a lot to read. It shouldn't be things that I have to read, or things that are just tedious, for whatever reason -- that one science fiction book that I once again put back on the bookshelf, thats on, I think, the fourth, possibly fifth attempt to read, for example; I find myself thinking But I like this author! Why can't I get through this book? But so long as the reading doesn't fit those criteria, I'm happy. Right now, for example, I have The Economist (why does Nick Clegg look like he's thinking dammit, it should have been me? And how amazing is it that I actually know his name?), Technology Review, a casual 'magazine' from the local college (mostly, it's look what wonderful things we're doing, but I don't mind, because, generally speaking, I like the school, even if it is intensely Christian), The Sunday New York Times, and The Sunday Washington Post. Yes, even though we have the digital Post, which I downloaded this morning before leaving for church, we still got the paper. There's just a satisfaction in feeling the heft of the paper that the digital one can't give. (Could it ever? I suppose to those who drool over the iPood, sure. You like, or at least tolerate, what you grew up with.)

I forgot to mention, in my summary of magazines the other day, that we get Discover, too. It was a we're selling subscriptions for school thing. It's okay. Wish it was a little more high density, though the medical article's usually interesting.

Church wasn't much fun. Okay, it never really is -- have I mentioned that I don't enjoy the experience, and am amazed that there are people -- I'm married to one -- who do? -- but today was worse. The priest I fondly call Fast Willie ( I think he wants to get back to the rectory and bed) took his time with the homily, and I swear he made up a few extra prayers along the way. Plus, there was this guy standing behind us who was a True Believer, and would boom out all of his responses. I did consider turning and saying Dial it back, dude!, but I didn't. And then they had a seminarian come to tell us how wonderful it was to be in the seminary, and how your contributions make it possible.... yeah, yeah, yeah. Got it. I'm just not a religious guy. Though I did find myself mulling over the idea of reincarnation, for some reason. I'd seen a cartoon yesterday where a guy, an infant, is thinking Well, it looks like I'm back, got a chance to do things right this time... last time, I made a ton of money but got some things seriously wrong...this time, I HAVE to remember: on a golf swing, keep your head down! I like the idea of reincarnation. It makes sense to me. But what occurred to me was that I always assumed that when (if?) you're reincarnated, that reincarnation happens in some year after you die -- ie, you die in 2010, you get reincarnated some year after that. But if there really is something to this all-powerful God thing, whats to say you couldn't get reincarnated five hundred years ago? Or even, at the same time? Hmmm.....

I hear that BP's new slogan is BP: Bringing Oil To America's Shores.

Made caffeinated coffee this morning, so that my daughter could have some -- she expressed surprise that coffee doesn't always wake her up, and I said well, kiddo, we usually make decaf so that your mother can have some, too; that doesn't tend to have the punch of the leaded stuff. (When I went to GM several years ago to help with a transition, I thought it funny that they referred to caffeinated and decaf as leaded and unleaded. ) I promised to make some caffeinated, and I did. No, thanks, Dad, don't want any. Um. Okay. Anyone want half a pot of coffee?

10 comments:

genderist said...

My parents called it "regular" and "unleaded", too. This was apparently a family joke because Mom always made "regular" coffee, but so diluted that you could see the bottom of your cup while you drink it. (Why make regular, Mom, if it's going to be so weak?)

Never bothered me as I've still not learned to drink the stuff, but it drives my Sister nuts.

Cerulean Bill said...

Like the joke I heard years ago of the person who ordered a latte with no whipped cream, fake sugar, and soy milk; the counterman ordered up a Why Bother.

Unknown said...

I've studied other religions and I've always found the idea of reincarnation the most interesting and satisfying emotionally (despite the fact that ultimately I can't really convince myself of an after-life).

Cerulean Bill said...

Sometimes, I'm doing good just to convince myself of a life right now!

Wendster said...

Re: reincarnation ... I like the idea and LOVE the idea that it could be simultaneous or retroactive.

Mostly I try not to think about it. I just try to enjoy my life and give myself as many learning experiences as I can.

Wendster said...

I loved the baby golf joke.

Wendster said...

Oh yes. And I LOVE Discover magazine...!!!

STAG said...

The rumour has it that American Coffee was invented during WW1 by cooks that confused metric measurements for American measurements. The strong French and Belgian coffee ended up being diluted to half strength from then on, and really weak coffee is still called cafe americane. Such coffee is generally avoided in Europe, (out of snobbery mostly) but when a tourist loving hotel actually makes it, it is really tasty!

The real difference of course is that Americans normally use South American beans to make coffee...which is uniformly sour and weak. In Argentina, they make it full strength and their cafe will strip paint, (as does their mate) but coffee is pretty bland stuff up here.

The Arabian Coffee they use exclusively in Europe makes for a smooth nutty rich coffee which is good in any concentration, either fairly dilute as in cafe americane, or expressed by steam as in expresso, or anywhere in between.

Ultimately, it comes down to taste. And what you are used to. Personally I am a coffee snob and drink my coffee very strong, and black, and usually cold in a glass with an ice cube or two. I figure if you can't drink it black, its not good coffee. And life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Cerulean Bill said...

Strong, yes. Cold? Hmm...never tried that.

I say I like strong coffee, but I'm sure that I would be aghast at what that can mean outside of 'Murrica. As when I told a coworker that I liked strong tea -- manly tea, I will say to my wife -- and he offered me some of his Lapsang Souchong. Holy hell. That's liquid road tar!

Cerulean Bill said...

Strong, yes. Cold? Hmm...never tried that.

I say I like strong coffee, but I'm sure that I would be aghast at what that can mean outside of 'Murrica. As when I told a coworker that I liked strong tea -- manly tea, I will say to my wife -- and he offered me some of his Lapsang Souchong. Holy hell. That's liquid road tar!