Friday, May 28, 2010

After, After

Okay. The PC is operational again.

Usual song-and-curse-and-dance getting Microsoft Word operational -- got to give it the twenty four and a half digits of the registration code, doncha know, and then Activate it, oh, yaaas -- and getting Vista to recognize a printer was also fun -- 'parently Word can't, no really, it just couldn't possibly print to a printer, even if it's been defined, if no default printer has also been designated (I know, right? How dumb is that?). But that's Microshaft for you. I still need to ship backup control cards over to her PC, set up a scheduled job to copy stuff to a backup file, and once a month or so, put out something to say 'hey, insert a CD', and then transfer the backups to it. I know it's trivial. I've just never done it. And I will say that for all it could be better, that 'restore from the built-in D Drive' is kind of snappy. Even if using it does require completely wiping the C Drive of all data. Oh, the humanity!

But right now she's happy, she has a working PC on which to play show tunes from Annie, and me? I'm in the bedroom, reading Breads from the La Brea Bakery. So I'm happy, too.

No comments: