Monday, May 03, 2010

Reading

I've spent much of the day shuttling between two books -- Pushing Ice, a science fiction novel, and Presidential Command, which is political science. Each is difficult to read, in its own way -- Pushing Ice, because there's an undercurrent of friction between two people, the woman running the spaceship and the woman who she deposed in a struggle over their correct course of action in a gradually evolving crisis, and Presidential Command, because it goes at great length into the goals, styles, and motivations of the last several Presidents, from Truman to Bush 43, which can, as a result, be more than a little convoluted, not to mention Byzantine. I've never heard Jimmy Carter called 'schizophrenic' before, nor have I heard reference to Nixon's 'raw political and personal courage'. I know my view of these things is one dimensional, but reading this, I begin to think that that puts it mildly.

On the bright side, it stopped raining, and the sun is actually out.

1 comment:

STAG said...

I just finished "Starship Troopers" (the glories of facism) back to back with "The Moon is Harsh Mistress". (pretty much the opposite!)

Oh my!