Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Eureka

I really like the Eureka series. We're capturing the reruns on Tivo, and it's fun to just see the enthusiasm and yeah, we can do that attitude, all over again.

Okay, the plotting and the characterizations could use some work, sure. This is a town full of geniuses -- geniuii? -- yet whenever someone needs to come up with the day-saving concept -- what if we just, you know, fired up the emitter again, only this time we balanced the beams instead of pulsing them?-- it's almost certainly going to be the sheriff, which is kind of implausible. Hey, I listen! he'll say, defensively. And every so often another character will say you know, you're a lot smarter than you look. Um, yeah. But balance the beams smarter? Doubt it.

And then there's Henry, who is the guy who always knows the answer, or knows a large part of the answer, or knows just who can make something work -- at least, the theory; Henry himself can always make it work. He's the NCIS-Abby character, the one who can do it all. Genetics? M-space physics? Radio telemetry? Aquatic biology? Holographic imaging? Henry's on the case. Hey, you know, this guy used to work on the Space Shuttle, so you know he's smart. But, um, that smart? Well....

And they've gotten rid of some great characters, didn't develop others. Why don't they have AI systems anyplace but the sheriff's house and Fargo's car? I'm sure they're there, but where? And why is the head of Global Dynamics always down there in the pit, doing day to day stuff instead of big picture high concept? And tell me more about Section Five. For that matter, tell me more about Sections One, Two, Three, and Four! I suspect that's not gonna happen, and I'd like to see it happen. I think it'd be a better show.

But it doesn't matter. I love that place. You can have Disneyland. I want Eureka.

4 comments:

genderist said...

What channel did it come on? When did it come out? Why haven't I heard of this series?

Cerulean Bill said...

It's on SyFy, here . Been out for at least three years, but my impression is that it's not on alll the time -- run through a series, then stop until the next one. The newest ones come out this July.

As to why -- can't answer that. I myself don't tend to see ads for tv shows unless one pops up when I am watching a taped one -- and slow down enough to see the ad. The TiVo 'recommendations' almost never work for me.

Tabor said...

I also enjoyed the series. I think I liked it because it was so silly.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, I'm not sure I'd call it silly. Implausible, yes, especially the occasional reliance on deus ex machina, aka 'then a miracle occurs'. But I like it.