Monday, May 24, 2010

GlumMon

Mostly,that's due to the weather, which is overcast, drizzling, and slightly humid. Just poifect.

Though there might be one or two others things...

At breakfast, I was going over the Sunday papers. To my everlasting astonishment, not, I found an article saying that the Senators who are on the panel that is processing the proposed regulations for the financial industry are themselves receiving tons of donations from that very same industry. The article said that the industry is trying to call in years of chits, all at once. Oh, no fear of problems there. Those stalwart representatives of the people know just what to do. Well, perhaps they aren't sure how far to genuflect or bow in their masters' presence, but other than that... Campaign finance reform? What kind of wimps want that?

Also saw an article saying that Europe is finding its cradle to grave social net increasingly hard to maintain as its population ages and their corresponding taxable earning power drops. I wonder how much of that is in our future? Article points out that they've had the advantage of not having to fund a military, thanks to NATO. I suppose gradual reductions in our forces there give them delight, too.

On the way in, my daughter noted that this summer she's a) taking color guard, b) taking Karate, c) taking an SAT prep class, d) taking a drivers prep class, and e) signing up for a Tai Chi class (I'd recommended she ask her Karate instructor, who came up with one). At least the color guard stuff will, for the most part, be switched to daytime activities, and the drivers prep and SAT prep classes are just one month. Still - that's a lot. Plus, you know -- that French girl. And band camp. And -- why do I suddenly feel as if it's September already? Not that time flies, but...the other day, she mentioned wanting to attend a presentation by a fellow who would talk about getting into the military academies. Well, you can certainly go to the presentation, I said, but your grades are nowhere near good enough to actually get into an academy. They're looking for kids with mostly As, some Bs, and obvious success in extracurricular activities. Top of the class-type people, people with extraordinary achievements. She looked at me in dismay. I tried hard not to say what I was thinking.

No comments: