Saturday, January 31, 2009

Well, Muffin...

I like making things like muffins and cupcakes. What I don't like is their size.

I've got a nice pan that will make twelve muffins. Each cup is about two inches deep. Disregarding crowning, that's not much of a muffin, or a cupcake. Perhaps I'm too picky, but it seems like its a lot of effort to get something that can be eaten in about thirty seconds. Okay, granted, you can just eat more, but somehow that seems like gluttony to me. I only want one muffin at a time -- but I want it to be about two to three inches across at the bass, and about four inches high. They do make oversized muffin pans -- for example, here, and here, and here -- but they come with an oversized price. Given how cheap I can be, I just can't see spending the money.

I wonder if there is something of the right size that I already have that'd serve to bake in?

4 comments:

Tabor said...

What about custard cups?

Cerulean Bill said...

I don't know what those are. I do have small pyrex bowls, though, about the right volume (wider and flatter, but hey, beggers can't be bakers). I would be a little afraid of breaking them, though. Maybe I'll make the batter and just bake one in there, see how it goes.... And looking at this picture, that might be what these actually are -- mine are clear, but other than that they look about the same.

Tabor said...

I was thinking of the white porcelain ones...but perhaps the pyrex will do. They should be oven safe...just hard to remove from the oven.

Cerulean Bill said...

Actually, it worked pretty well. Thanks for the idea.