Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sauced

Well, the pizza sauce didn't turn out all that well.

The dough itself was pretty good -- could have stood to be a skosh thinner, but as it was, it held the toppings nicely. The sauce though -- the first clue that this might not be the ne plus ultra was when we realized that the sauce, which had only simmered for 25 minutes of the 40-60 minutes recommended, was already pretty thick - almost a sloppy joe consistency. When it goes glop from the spoon instead of drip, drip, that's kind of hard to miss. The second, even harder to miss, was when my daughter looked down at it and said, in a tone of great skepticism, "What are those bumpy things in there?" Very finely chopped onions, I said. And celery. She looked up in dismay. "I'll make a sandwich".

The funny thing is, my wife and I both liked it -- but we both also thought it needed something. We're just not sure what.

No comments: