Wednesday, January 14, 2009

CDCT

This morning, I had a cup of coffee. Wasn't all that hungry.

They just called. CT scan at 2PM. And, oh yeah, don't eat anything between now and then.
===============

Whups. Now its noon, at a different hospital. Apparently, the one I was going to go to doesn't have the 64 slice scanner. Of course, I think of slicing machines! But hey, two hours less waiting around, CT scanner is faster than the (sneer) old 16 slice doobie -- okay, this is good.

Question is, if I get the choice: Cast or Rod?

A cast means two months of stumping around, unable to drive, using crutches, and a delay in starting therapy.
A rod means anesthesia, slicing into my actual body, again, and an overnight stay in the hospital, with the potential of, joy, catheterization. (Which, that one time, actually wasn't all that bad, but still...)

I lean toward the first, a little.

And:
Why does it matter to have the faster scan, anyway? I'm hoping its because its just neat, nifty, new, and not because holy hell, we need as much detail on this jewel as we can get, this is quite a mess in there... Nah. Can't be.

Can it?

(Paranoia doesn't run in my family. I've got it all.)

=================
Update: Well, thats done. And those ads are right -- the CT scan takes about five minutes. In and out. Course, they don't mention the forty minutes in the waiting room, listening to the most god-awful daytime television known to modern man.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I suggest you go with the treatment that has the least long-term complications. Breathe in and breathe out.

Cerulean Bill said...

I've noticed that most doctors seem to not want to answer that question, lately. I've actually had them ask me what I wanted to do. Not just human docs, either -- my daughter's guinea pig vet asked me!