Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ex..Uh....

Decades ago, a character on a situation comedy, a beatnik (which shows how long ago this program was on), was not fond of work, an attitude he would demonstrate by shrieking work?! whenever the possibility was raised. I feel roughly the same way about exercise. People who push exercise strike me as impossibly perky and positive individuals who think nothing of doing vigorous workouts for half an hour at a stretch. Although, come to think of it, that's how I feel about it, too.

Nevertheless, three falls in four years, each resulting in broken bones. Even though at least two were defensible, still. So I'm thinking that maybe I ought to look into some kind of (gasp) senior flexibility exercise program. Assuming there is anything like that around here. The pickings are, shall we say, damned slim. And if you add in the requirement of 'intelligently and sensitively run', even less. But still, I'm thinking I ought to.

Once I can walk again, that is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough I agree with you, the word exercise is a turn off for some reason.
I rather be active in a way that I don't really notice I am exercising hah. So I prefer a long walk where I can think or something like that.
Good luck finding a place!

Cerulean Bill said...

There are two gyms that I know of -- one's the YMCA, yuck, and the other's LA Fitness, which might be the default.

I think that exercise shouldn't be sold as something that's fun, because for most its not, or something thats good for you, because most people don't like that idea -- too many a cup of yoghurt and a handfun of pine cones make a YUMMY meal! messages. Your idea of long walks is what we do. Well, normally. I like to tell myself that wrangling this walker is exercise. It is... but not really.