Sunday, January 18, 2009

DPs

I think my daughter's PC had developed the dreaded dead pixels disease, but I'm not sure. It's got something, though, and it isn't good.

I'd always assumed that DPs would be small and square --what she's got looks like a squashed spider -- its black, about a sixteenth of an inch across, and it's jagged. I've tried some of those 'fixes' for such a thing, but they don't seem to have worked.

Unfortunately, my wife had taken her laptop away until she did some clean up in her room, and now the daughter is convinced that her mother did something to screw it up. I doubt it - she's pretty careful with it, unlike our daughter. But this is the daughter's implementation of the rule - you touched it, you broke it. She touched it, so it must have been her.

Argh.
================
Update: We apparently have a new daughter. Whomever it is, she came into the kitchen and apologised to her mother for blaming her for the DP (or whatever it is). She said that she might have done it herself. We about fell over ourselves telling her how mature and gracious that was.

Update: Maybe it's not a DP -- she says she can slide the cursor over to it, and see the cursor below the smudge. But its not dirty glass, at least on our side, and I can't see how it could be dirty glass on the other side. Of course, I'm not even going to try opening it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you and your wife are OK after taking such a shock to your system ;-P hah. Moments like that make you consider keeping your daughter, right? heh

Good luck figuring out the pixel issue.

Cerulean Bill said...

Oh, we have to keep her. Apparently, the warranty runs out like sixty days after birth.

The pixel thing, I'm clueless about. I particularly like that a) the people who say how to fix it also say but be careful, you might break more doing this and b) this will absolutely work unless it doesn't; see (a), above.