Tuesday, January 13, 2009

MedComm

Though it feels like it, I really don't do this kind of damage to my body often.

Granted, I went for 55 years before doing it at all, so doing it three times in four years since then does make me think that perhaps my wife's suggestion that she wrap me in bubble wrap, a la the Michelin Man, any time there's inclement weather afoot, or she's leaving me alone for a while, is not a bad one. But still - not too often. One of the things this means is that I haven't had the opportunity to get jaded by it. The people who deal with this every damn day -- them, I am in awe of. I heard once of a tut-tutting article about doctors who refer to 'the liver in 304', 'the cancer in 102', cautioning them to be more sensitive. These are people, dammit! Well, yes. But when you see it every day, in every way....you likely get more than a little used to it. Just another (fill in the malady).

So when the woman called me today to schedule the CT scan -- more exactly, to send in the request to the insurance agency to pay for the CT scan -- and she said her notes said that I had, what is this, a fractured toe? -- I didn't jump down her throat. I know that she's doing the best she can under an onslaught of these things, and, moreover, she's doing it for me. Doesn't hurt that I had called this morning to ask a question, which got my folder moved from the bottom of the pile to the top -- else, her call might have come four or six hours later. So, okay. They're doing the best they can.

I am not normally this understanding, but I'm trying. Dammit.

No comments: