Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gaiman

I mentioned the other day that I disagreed with the statement of Neil Gaiman regarding the acceptibility of a manga graphic novel he'd written, since I feel strongly that the theme wasn't appropriate for kids. That's who I see as the primary partakers of manga in this country. In response, one person pointed out that the comic in question wasn't aimed at kids, and in fact is sold only to adults. I still disagree with the concept of that particular theme being presented in manga form, but I admit that I didn't know about the selective sales . It doesn't mean that non-adults don't get their hands on it, but it's a start.

The thing is -- and this is a point that I should have made at the time -- Gaiman is an extraordinarily talented author. He's not just the creator of a specific comic with which I disagreed, but of a range of works, graphic and text, of overwhelming ability. If you're looking for a sense of what his graphic work is like, this web page may be of interest. As for the text -- well, there's a lot, but personally, I really enjoyed -- even while I was occasionally mystified by -- a novel titled American Gods. It's gripping.

Just wanted to mention that.

No comments: