Thursday, January 15, 2009

Am I a Cynic?

This is from the Mini-Microsoft site -- someone's comment on a post there --

I think all of the moaning and finger-pointing on the "layoff" posts is a sign of what ails us; we are so self-absorbed we don't stop to think about how to delight our customers. If there are going to be layoffs, so be it. We would not be the first company to have them and we wouldn't be the last. So don't worry about the layoffs; they might happen, they might not. Keep your focus on the customer and how what you do will make their life better. With that focus, you just might find that your life gets better as well.

I read that, and thought Yeah, right -- bet you'd feel differently if YOU were laid off. I'm willing to posit that there are people who wouldn't -- they'd still say that sort of thing as they were packing their desk -- but even there, I suspect its because they've got excellent alternative employment opportunities, sources of alternate wealth, or something else that buffers them from what I see as reality. Most people, I think, especially as you get closer to the trenches, would feel as I do - being laid off, or even the threat of it, is a scary prospect, one that makes it difficult to focus on delighting customers, and anyone who says that you can 'not worry about it' is a Pollyanna at best, a liar at worst.

No comments: