Saturday, January 17, 2009

Random Thoughts

When I was getting fitted with the knee brace, I mentioned to the guy doing it as to how I'd kind of hoped for one that would enhance my abilities, rather than simply keep me from further injuring myself. Something along the lines of a RoboLeg, so that I could run faster, jump higher, all of that. He barely smiled. I guess he hears that sort of thing all the time. And later, my wife pointed out that if it could do those things, the ability would only be on -- one side. I suppose that could be a drawback.

I told my wife about seeing a picture of Hugh Hefner with three very attractive young women; the caption was 'how many blondes does it take to change an adult diaper?' She started laughing, and said she wondered why they'd want to hang around a sixty year old man, anyway. Publicity and money, I replied. And, anyway, sixty doesn't sound all that old to me any more, since I'll hit that mark this year.She seemed surprised. You will never be old, she said. Perhaps not. But having the three blondes hanging around might make it worth it. Incidentally, Hefner's 78.

Some people are irritated about Steve Jobs and the leadership succession question at Apple. The Wall Street Journal says that his temporary departure 'comes at a bad time'. Do these things ever happen at a good time? Is there a good time?

I was reading a few political columns today, and found myself wincing at how often they referred to people of different opinions as wingnuts and nutcases. I guess its a mark of my age that I get offended by that kind of talk. Not wildly offended; in my heart, I still use them myself when thinking of certain people, but in public? No, I don't. Similarly, I saw a couple of people proclaiming that they are offended by the selection of Warren for the Inauguration; not what they signed up for- they're going to REMEMBER this. I think 'why can't they accept that its not all about them?' And then realized that I have the same problem.

4 comments:

Molly said...

Bill, great parting thought. I hope that your knee brace is ultra cool and allows for moderate exercise and the ability to beat away a mugger if necessary.

Happy Saturday! PS. Does Saturday still excite you now that you are retired?

Cerulean Bill said...

Yes, it does, because it's one of the days that my wife is home for the whole day. Days like that always excite me.

I don't think the brace is ultra-cool, but heck, neither am I !

Unknown said...

So maybe the brace will make you cooler? hah

It is all about me though, you wingnut :-)

Cerulean Bill said...

I am sure that you say that with the greatest of love and affection, right? (g)

The only way this brace would make me cooler is if I wore it in the snow... and right now, I'm staying right the hell AWAY from walking in any kind of precip.