Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Excited and Pleased

I'm excited about what's going to happen today, and I'm pleased. I don't often wish politicians the best, but for this guy, absolutely. I was pretty young, the last time that the phrase 'best and the brightest' was in the lexicon, so I didn't really know what it meant, but now I do. Barack's one of those elite, and we're damn lucky to have him.

I startled my wife this morning by telling her of an email I'd sent to a person, saying that the response was a) to mention what a wonderful seat -- seat, mind you, not standing location - her daughter'd gotten for the Lincoln Memorial Concert; her boyfriend has the best contacts!, and b) that the person to whom I'd written is jetting off to Paris this afternoon. Why do you continue to write to that person, she asked, when you know that all you'll get back is either nothing or that kind of stuff? I told her that its two fold - first, this person is a doctor, and the older I get, the more I think that someday I may need a contact in the field of medicine, however distant and tenuous, and second, its a game now -- what kind of look how wonderful my life is response will I get this time? I don't want it that way -- I actually do respect this person for achievements and intelligence, and I'd like to have a cordial relationship, but if I can't -- well, then, I'll take this.

Stayed up late last night reading about Inauguration plans. Was startled to learn that the expectation is of tight security -- but that it should taper off after today. Goshm golly, ya think? I do wonder if there are bills ready to be signed by Barack that will be delivered at 12:01, and signed today. I know he intends to move quickly, but I hope he gets the time to have a good time, today. I did read where the Black Tie and Boots yeehaw, held by the Texas contingent, is more muted than it was, last two inaugurals, and apparently managed to say what a great time they're going to have without actually mentioning who the President will be. Ah, politics. If it wasn't so serious, it'd be funny.

No strange dreams last night. Well, one, but it was mild, and other than the fact of its occurrence, I don't recall it.

Happy Inauguration!

No comments: