Thursday, July 02, 2009

Under? Over.

An article in Yahoo Answers that I just came across (several months old) speaks of a bar in Melbourne, Australia which offered free drinks to any woman willing to take off her panties and hang them on a bar.

The part of me that's still fifteen years old thinks that this is a marvelous idea, and should be widely encouraged. It doesn't hurt that many of the women in Melbourne, like many of the men, are in really good shape, and likely blond as well. As I've been thinking about it for a long, long time, I do know a little bit more about women than I was when I was fifteen, and so I know that this sort of thing is a self-selecting process; the bulk of the women who go to this bar (at least, the bulk who get near the bar) are intensely extroverted who delight in exposing themselves, no pun intended, to the crowd. Some are lesser who simply get swept up in the experience, and for months afterward refuse to talk about it. Most of the participants, though, have a great time.

As an adult, I realize that this is sophomoric, and silly, and contributes to unhealthy attitudes regarding women. To which the fifteen year old, eyes glazed, says 'Um...what?"

I suppose that an equivalent for guys wouldn't be nearly as successful.

No comments: