Monday, July 06, 2009

Pickups

One of the blogs I look at occasionally appears to be written by a guy who's primarily identification in life is that he's slick, cool, with-it. I'd link to it here, but it's got one of those title's that's so cool, it doesn't give a clue regarding what it's about -- so when I look down the list of feeds in my Feed Demon application, I can't easily find it. Sorry about that.

I was looking at it yesterday. The topic d'jour was 'how to pick up girls'. I of course am not looking for information on how to do that -- but I've always been curious about how people do do it. Where do they get the confidence, the 'sellable package'? I think that it revolves around two things -- a sense of confidence in your own winsomeness, and a sense that rejection doesn't mean anything. Okay, three things: a sense of audacity, too - a willingness to go for it, to take the leap that common sense might say wouldn't work. I am reluctant to say that you should always go for it; that, I think, leads to being the first guy to try bungee jumping. But those three together might well lead to success -- in picking up members of the opposite sex, and in life. I recall a job evaluation once where the manager said that I had 'much to offer', and I thought 'really? What?' Because from the inside, it aways seemed to me that I wasn't anything special. That I could do things that others couldn't do, that I could achieve things that others couldn't achieve, always seemed ephemeral to me -- it's not worth that much, and, anyway, they could do it if they wanted to. Might have helped (and still could) if I could have realized that no, actually, they couldn't. And that it really was worthwhile.

Confidence. Resilience. Audacity.

2 comments:

STAG said...

wealth, hard to get (like for real), and way down on the list, good looks.

Cerulean Bill said...

Good looks? Golly, I gave up on that a LONG time ago!