Sunday, July 05, 2009

Cycles

This October, we'll be married twenty-five years. This also means that we'll have owned this house for twenty-five years (actually, a bit more, as we bought it in June, I moved in, and my partner moved in four months later). In turn, that means that things are wearing out.

We just replaced the refrigerator. It's not better than the one we had (in fact, in some ways, it's worse), but it's acceptable, the price was good, and the cost of operation will be less. My wife had said she was afraid that the old one would break soon, which I would pooh-pooh; based on a comment from the installer of the new one, she was right -- a stain on the flooring was oil from the compressor, which was failing, which was why it ran so often. It was going to fail.

I'm damned if I know if we ever replaced the stove. You'd think I would know that, but I can't recall ever getting one. It still works, and well, so I doubt we'll be doing it soon (you don't have a fridge, things go bad; you don't have a stove, you order out). When we do, I have my eye on those that offer a 'warming drawer' or second oven that can be used as such. Probably find out that it wouldn't fit in our floorspace.

The dishwasher was replaced about twenty years ago, and this one is starting to fail, in small ways. Having me fall on the door once didn't exactly help it. We replaced the lower rack once, and we've lost two tines on the upper rack. If and when we replace that, I want a quiet one. A very, very quiet one. My wife would like one that comes in two drawers, which I don't see the logic of, but then again, I didn't see the logic of the refrigerator.

We had the electrical panel replaced once, because an electrician whom we trusted told us that we ought to do that. We still don't know if that was true, but it's done.

When my wife moved in, she brought her massive console television, a gift from her family. Two months later, it died, and we replaced it. Now, we're thinking about replacing the replacement.... maybe.

I suppose I ought to be pleased that I'm not up for replacement quite yet!

No comments: