Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Baking Bummed

I'm sitting in the kitchen, looking at a bouquet our neighbor gave us in appreciation for looking after their house while they were away, feeling the gentle breeze coming in through the sliding glass door, and being just a little bummed. Today's little baking experiment is not going at all well.

I had found a recipe where a woman said she'd been trying out a recipe for butter cookies, and didn't care for them, so she used them as the basis for a Milanos clone, which turned out pretty well. Such is not the case here. I made four batches (by the third time, the 'batches' were just one round of dough), and they were all very dry, very bland. They're supposed to brown, just a bit, around the edges, and it took me until the fourth try to get that. The dough, I've decided, is actually pie crust dough -- very, very soft, very, very buttery. So I think I'm going to save the rest of it and see about making a pie. But these cookies?

Pepperide Farm has nothing to worry about from me.

No comments: