Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Intransitive

I just came across a page of English phrases using instransitive verbs, intended for Spanish speakers. Reading down the phrases, they're occasionally funny, in a strange way. For example:

soy casado/soltero/divorciado I'm married/single/divorced
compra uno que no sea caro buy one that isn't too expensive
es pesimista he's a pessimist
somos seis there are six of us
me es imposible asistir I'm unable to attend, it's impossible for me to attend
¡que seas feliz! I wish you every happiness!
--eres estúpida --no, no lo soy "you're stupid" -- "no I'm not"
¡será posible! I don't believe it!
¡serás burro! you can be so stupid!

Let's put them together --

I'm married - I was single, and I'm going to get divorced. Take my advice -- when you get a bride, you should buy one that isn't too expensive.
Oh, he's a pessiment -- don't believe him. Believe us. After all, there's only one of him, and there are six of us.
I'm unable to attend the wedding, but I wish you every happiness.
Happiness? Where's the gift? No gift? You're stupid!
No, I'm not!
I don't believe it!
Well, you're stupid!

No comments: