Friday, July 24, 2009

PreSabado

Well, this has been an interesting day.

I found that I'd made the three month appointment three weeks too soon (insurance, doncha know), so I get to go back for that. I usually don't like going to these things, so I thought I was being a good little doobie by getting it done.... um. Well, I guess I can be one in August. I did find out that I've gained weight, though. I'm going to have to work on that. I mentioned that I have difficulty getting my leg over the seat of my bike, and she suggested trading it for a woman's bike. I might just do that. I do like riding.

My wife learned that another person in her group was laid off today -- someone that she particularly liked working with. She'd never met the woman (she works out in Colorado), but her acerbic style and lack of willingness to be a good doobie appealed to my wife. As always, it makes you wonder when they're going to fire you, for no reason other than that they want to save money. There's already rumours that the temporary pay cuts that they made three months ago aren't going to be so temporary, after all. It's difficult for me not to think in terms of us versus them, the individual versus corporate moguls, when this sort of thing happens. I was so flummoxed by this news -- I thought that sort of authoritarian crap was over with -- that I didn't even enjoy her discussion of a technical problem, and I always enjoy that sort of thing.

Picked up a book from the living room bookcase -- Working in a Very Small Place, by Mark Shelton, about Peter Janetta, a neurosurgeon. I'd read it five or six years ago, and really liked it. I don't know much about neurosurgery, but what I know, I find fascinating. Though some parts, describing the nitty-gritty of neurosurgery, boring holes in the skull and whatnot, I elected to skip while eating dinner.

Tonight we're going out to buy a ceiling fan, which will get installed in my mother's living room. Tomorrow, its up to my mother in law's house to attend a wedding. One out of three chances that in the morning my mother will say she's not up for the trip, in which case I'll stay home, too. My daughter said that if I stay home, so will she, until she found out that if she went she'd have about three hours on the house PC with broadband access, not to mention, unfettered access to the high definition TV. She's decided that she's going, no matter what.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Stress can cause you to overeat. Try some yoga or meditation or longer walks to not let your wife's situation bother you. It is soooo easy to gain weight.

Cerulean Bill said...

I was considering meditating on the acquisition of a pepperoni pizza, just this evening...

Actually, the job thing isn't a source of stress. Well, not much. It's like living next to the San Andreas Fault -- you sort of get used to the occasional movement of the earth under your feet.