Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday

Ever have a Saturday night/Sunday morning that was so great, you want to just bottle it? This weekend has been like that.

Last night I made a decent pizza, from scratch. Then the two of us went to a local winery, listened to good music, sampled the wine, and ate brownies.

This morning, I heard our church's pastor do a classic thing (for him): During his sermon, he said how we needed to just sometimes get away and be quiet, a little solitude being helpful for reflection, and mentioned that he sometimes wants to do that at the end of mass instead of reading announcements, but didn't because he figured people would wonder what was going on. He then went on with the mass. At the end, when he normally reads the announcements, he sat down, was quiet for a moment, then said "This is when we should be quiet.....which reminds me of a story I heard years ago when I was a young priest...." My daughter and I looked at each other, and she whispered that it would be so cool if a phone went off, just then.

And breakfast was outstanding -- the strawberries (which, last week, were a little firm) had unexpectedly ripened in the refrigerator, so that they were soft and juicy. The coffee, which I'd made more of than normal, was good, and I had enough even though my daughter unexpectedly decided to have a cup. The sausage was outstanding. And even the waffles were great; when I inadvertantly spilled batter on a section of the griddle that I hadn't greased (oh, that's gonna stick!), the waffle came right up, just like the two where I had greased it. This, from the waffle iron that we almost tossed because it was sticking and we couldn't figure out why. I told my wife that breakfast couldn't have been better if we'd have had staff to prepare and serve it.

Awesomeness abounds!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like we both have had a good weekend. Sometimes life is just real good :-)

Cerulean Bill said...

Yup! The trick is remembering it when it's not -- like the Peanuts strip where Lucy is commiserating with Charlie Brown over a lost ball game, and says 'Some you win, some you lose, Charlie Brown'. He looks up and replies 'Some you win?'