Sunday, July 26, 2009

Gates et al

I'm a fan of Obama's, as is easily apparent by the things I say. This time, I think he was in error. Though some say that he effectively transformed the moment into a 'teaching opportunity', I think he showed that politics and friendship count for more with him -- at least this time -- than impartiality.

I admit, I'm seizing on details. That he called Gates first, and then the cop, doesn't matter so much -- somebody's got to be first, after all, barring a conference call. That he then said that he thought the cop overreacted, and then added that he supposed Gates did too, had unpleasant nuances to me. And that he then said that Gates had accepted a visit to the White House, and so did the cop -- well, the message I get from that is that he's inviting his friend, and possibly trying to appease those who expect him to be extra-sensitive to black issues -- and since he can't invite just him, he'll invite the cop along, too.

This is just one episode, and it isn't nearly enough to made me think differently, overall, regarding Obama. I'm still glad he's there, still glad that he has the motivations that he does, the goals. But his impulses, I'm not as sure about. I can see how, if you didn't start off liking him, this would easily be an indication that you were right to be wary of him. I really wish he'd stayed out of it. A simple observation that he didn't know the facts, or the details, should have done it.

Not quite feet of clay, but perhaps the pedestal is now a tad shorter.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

No matter how impartial we try to be we all see things through the eyes of our experience...including Sotomeyer.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, sure. But that doesn't mean you say 'this guy must be right, even though I don't know what happened, because I do know him'. Not if you're being impartial.

Ah, it'll blow over, I suppose.

Unknown said...

Presidents generally make their worst gaffes in the first year. After that, they become more problematic because they're supposed to know better.

He goofed, he came as close to an apology as he was going to, and the forthcoming beer will undoubtedly be well covered. Somehow, through it all Gates manages to come across as a raving racist.

It's definitely a teaching moment!

And the White House will probably be inundated with offers of kegs of beer from manufacturers small and large. (A kegger at the White House? I'm *so* there! :-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

The teaching moment will be more 'stay on message, stay on script' than anything else, I'd bet.