Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Confluence of Events

This evening, I dropped my daughter off for her karate class, and rather than going home, I went to the library and picked up a book that I'd heard of on a blog that's dedicated to comics.

I'm not a comic reader in any but the Sunday Washington Post style, so this is atypical for me, but the blogger said that this particular book, "Identity Crisis", by Brad Meltzer, was exceptionally good, so I'd thought what the heck, let me see what passes for GOOD these days. Frankly, having seen main stream comics referenced in that blog over time, I wasn't expecting much; they. like. to. talkreallyfast and be mysterious. Which is sort of how this book is, too, but it does have a style that gets you, mostly because it starts with one of the characters saying how much he likes his wife of thirty years.... who is then killed.

When we got home, my daughter immediately flipped on the tube, which was showing one of the Inspector Gadget movies, just as IG says to the bad guy that he'll never get away with his plot; the bad guy laughs and says that in the real world, evil is very often the victor. Which made me think of that comic.

An interesting confluence. And these comics, they're what people read for escape?

No comments: