Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Jabbing

About two weeks ago, I started having some serious problems in maintaining the blood sugar level that I want -- and it seemed as if the more insulin I took, the worse the morning numbers were! This is pretty irritating, since for a long time I had great control, then I blew it, then I got it mostly (not entirely) back... and this looked like it was starting to slip again. Of course, I thought about the usual stuff, looking for causes (eating out, for example, will almost always cause me a problem; along the same lines, if the number is borderline before dinner, and I don't take some drugs then, I'm almost certainly going to regret it later). This time, though, there were no obvious culprits.

I didn't like increasing the night-time number without good cause (and, to be honest, without good effect). I've found that if I do that, it seems to backfire on me. I mayget a good number the next morning, but the day after that, it rebounds and is high again. I don't know why. I've never seen anyone write up any good explanation, or even a statement that yeah, this does happen. Of course, I don't tend to read about this kind of thing, anyway. I think if I saw theories that seemed reasonable, I'd listen, but most times, its always something that seems to say that no matter what I do, no matter how good I do, its not enough, not good enough. Doctors are like that.

So we'll see what tomorrow morning looks like....and I'll try really hard to not get up in the middle of the night and have something to eat!

2 comments:

Tabor said...

This sounds so frustrating and since I am not a doctor I don't have advice except to keep thinking positive and push your exercise regimen.

Cerulean Bill said...

I agree with you. That's what I'm doing.

It's not that I doubt the ability of medical people -- it's that they always (just about) think you should be doing more. I'm sure they're right.