Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wednesday Already?

There is an old joke about a woman who gives a party and invites a friend to help in the kitchen. While there, she tells her friend that she so much liked a certain dish that the woman had served at her home, she was making it that day. Only, she adds, I didn't have this ingredient, so I used that, and I thought it could use a little of this, so I added it, and... When the meal was served, she announced 'And if you like this, you can that our friend -- its her recipe!'

Well, that's what I'm doing with the sacerdos. I looked at the bread book, and thought 'the thing I liked most about the artisan bread book was how easy the dough was to make' -- so thats the dough I'm using, not the 'Basic Hearth Bread Dough' that the book requires. If it comes out great, I'll be happy. If not -- well, hey, its their recipe. I'm calling it Artisan Sacerdos -- Maybe.

I have yet to see Clinton's speech. Carolyn Ann's comment makes me interested to do so, though I don't like having to plop down in front of the TV just for that purpose. Maybe I'll bring the laptop down there, glancing up every so often at the applause lines, which I gather were many and intense. We have no TV upstairs -- though my daughter would be willing, I'm sure. We do actually have a small portable TV, for roadtrips, but it doesn't play VHS tapes. I guess we're technologically backward. The people who built this house, and lived in it with two parents and six kids in five bedrooms, had TVs everywhere, from the big one in the den to the little one in the kitchen. Even the parents bedroom had a fairly large one. We just don't care for that idea too much. Right about now, though, it'd be nice to be able to stream the program up here while I did other stuff -- open up another window, listen to the audio feed while surfing -- yeah, thats the ticket.

I was surprised this morning to read that a person whose blog I look at fairly often mentioned getting a phone call from someone else who reads that blog. It never occurs to me that people have contacts outside of this medium. Even contacts via email seem odd to me -- wait, is it allowed to do that? There are times that I think my view of whats possible is was too constrained.

No comments: