Friday, August 29, 2008

Rationales

I realize that when it comes to voting, people select their candidate for strange reasons, sometimes. And I do know that if someone is going to vote for my candidate because 'he has the same shoe size as me, you know', I'll smile and say 'good move', because what I care about is the result, not the rationale.

But in the last half hour I read one person saying they'd vote for McCain because it'd be a chance to get a woman in the structure of power, if not the peak; and another,who already supported McCain, said that they'd vote for him because Obama's got a military advisor who's an idiot, while McCain's seems reasonable.

Oh my good sweet lord.

Whats almost as bad: I find myself thinking that she must be a bad choice because he is. When in fact, based on the little I know, she's pretty good.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I am totally like voting for some like really hawt celebrity b/c OMG how like totally awesome would it be to have a hottie 4 prez.
::giggle::

Cerulean Bill said...

You're scaring me here, Shannon..

Sweeti said...

I watched, it rejuvenated me politically. I was so disenchanted by the whole realm of politics this term as usual that I still didn't know where my heart was in the matter. The Republicans took back their party. In my minds eye there is only one clear choice. Too bad to, I'd loved to see a Democratic party that would make me question if I was doing the right thing.

I did know that the Billary's were not the ticket, too much controversy not enough respect to make a difference. Not to disrespect you, I know you loved her.
I just wanted so much more from the first woman in that office.
I am amazed, She will do good. I will vote and hopefully they will win.

Cerulean Bill said...

In the past two days, I've seen two different articles that gave me divergent views of how someone could vote for McCain. One was a newspaper article by a woman who lives in Arizona, saying, in effect, that she liked him because he was the kind of person who settled the state; the other was Ted Nugent (!) saying on a talk show that he did not care for the growth of government that he felt would inevitably accompany an Obama administration. I wasn't persuaded by either, but I was able to see that they were at least thinking; not simply reacting. I think that a lot of politics is reacting, these days, and that scares me.

I don't think Obama is perfect, and I share the fear of the growth of government. I wish that he had more experience. I would have happily voted for a Clinton/Obama ticket; I wish that he had selected her as his running mate.

As for McCain, I really do see him as Bush III. I think he will continue most of Bush's economic, diplomatic, and military policies. I can't stomach that.

Sweeti said...

Hmmmm, BushIII, I can sorta see some of your thinking. Obama does freak me out, and his wife even more so, and if I've learned anything from the past, the first women have alot of access nowadays in the Whitehouse.
I tell you what I'd lke to see is the mccain/palin ticket reversed.

Cerulean Bill said...

That would be okay provided that she stayed in good health.