Saturday, August 30, 2008

Knowledge is Good

This morning, I learned something.

I was reading a blog I like when I came across this phrase: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA . I had no idea what that was -- something you read, something you sat on, something you ingested, something you looked at -- so I checked it out. Turns out its an ale --Dogfish Head is a company, and IPA stands for India Pale Ale; no idea what the '60 minute' is all about (number of minutes it stays in your body before demanding release?) Reading further, I learned that this beverage had citrus, cedar, pine & candied-orange flavors, and floral notes; looking at their distributor list, and picking one at random, I learned that the distributor did not sell beer and ale, but 'quality fermented beverages'.

Wow. I had no idea that this could be so complicated. When I was growing up, my family drank beer, and still does - usually what an ad in New York once referred to as 'good drinking beer' -- Rheingold, Budweiser, occasionally Schlitz or Michelob, if you wanted something exotic. This almost makes me wish I was a beer drinker, myself. Excuse me: ale.

2 comments:

STAG said...

I used to drink industrial beers for years...hey, it fueled a twenty year career in the Military! Then I took a trip to England and discovered ale. Hey, this stuff doesnt' make me throw up blood, this stuff doesn't give me a hangover, this stuff doesn't make me act like an a---hole or make me fall asleep at the table. What IS wrong with the industrial beers?

I now drink India Pale Ale, Guiness, almost any Porter, and nearly anything that comes out of a mircrobrewery, particlarly if that brewery has the name "Samuel Adams" in it. I have decided that life is too short to drink industrial beer, American Coffee, or pretty much anything made from "concentrate".

And I am really not interested in a beer that has a "floral note" to the after taste.


The only American coffee I drink now is "cuban coffee", which is available in the Miami area pretty much exclusively. The beans from Africa are indescibably better. But thats another post...grin!

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm going to bet that you're a coffee-press sort of person, right?